Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Recipe: Three cheese vegetarian lasagna

This recipe is my attempt at recreating the most amazing lasagna with mornay sauce that we had in Paris.



A note about ingredients: Although my version is vegetarian, you can of course easily convert it into a traditional meat-eater's lasagna. I use Quorn soy crumbles, mock hamburger. I don't like a lot of pretend meat but this one has a pretty good texture and it adds some thickness to the sauce. If you're going to try the veggie meat, do not get the Morning Star grounds. It's chewy and terrible imo. Look for the Quorn brand, yellow package.

The Gruyere cheese you use is going to make or break the lasagna. Well, it will be good no matter what but it will be amazing with the right cheese. I look for a softer gruyere. The hard gruyere is sharper, more swiss-y and grainy. We want a milder and smooth cheese. Some of the softer gruyeres are too mild though. Here is a pic of my favorite brand, available at my local Fred meyer.

Another note: You'll have some left over marinara and cheese sauce with this recipe. I haven't bothered to tinker with it but if you are a stickler for waste and enjoy math, you can probably cut 1/4 to even 1/3 of the ingredients out of the sauces and have just enough.

I won't lie to you, this recipe takes awhile. You can cut down on the time by using a jarred sauce but you might find it a little watery. The good news is, once I make this I don't make dinner again the next 2 nights. Plenty of leftovers.

Three cheese vegetarian lasagna

Ingredients:
12 dried lasagna noodles
10 oz mozzarella, grated
1/4 cup or so of parmesan, grated

Marinara:
2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes (the large cans)
1 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced green pepper
garlic
1 cup frozen peas
Quorn frozen meatless grounds, about 3/4 of the package

All spices dried or fresh and to taste
basil
oregano
rosemary
thyme
onion powder
garlic power
salt
pepper
sugar

Cheese sauce
8 oz gruyere, grated
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk


Boil 12 lasagna noodles in a large pot. When al denta, empty into a colander and rinse with cold water. Leave to sit in the sink. Put your big pot back on the heat, add olive oil. Saute onions, green peppers, and "hamburger". When hamburger is cooked through, add both cans of crushed tomatoes, all seasonings, and peas (or whatever veggie you like, olive, sauted mushroom, etc). Cover half way and simmer on low on the back burner while you prepare the cheese sauce.

Pre-heat your oven to 350

Note about cheese sauce: Whisk it continually to prevent lumps and scalding. It is very useful to have a helper here. My dd is in charge of whisking. You'll keep the heat down and no boiling, so the sauce should never splatter your helper.

Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium low heat, add flour and whisk continually for 2-3 minutes. Add milk, slowly at first, still whisking. Turn heat up to medium, whisk until completely smooth, you don't want any flour lumps.
You want to warm the milk up until it will melt the cheese but do not let it boil. When you see a bit of steam rising from the pot, start adding your gruyere a small handful at a time. Whisk! If your cheese is melting very quickly and you see bubbles forming along the edge of your pot, turn the heat down.

After all gruyere is added, season with pepper. If your cheese is a bit bland, add a little salt. Continue cooking over medium until sauce thickens to coat a spoon. You do not want it watery but it will continue to thicken once you take if off the heat. Taste the sauce and make sure there is no floury taste left in it. If there is, keep cooking and whisking.

Take your cheese sauce off the heat and get all your ingredients with in reach.
In a large, 13x9", glass baking dish add about 2/3 cup of marinara to cover the bottom of the dish
Then layer:
3 noodles
2/3 cup cheese sauce
2/3 cup marinara
sprinkling of mozzarella
layer again, and a third layer
On top of the 3rd layer skip the cheese sauce. Add the marinara, mozzarella, and parmesan.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and switch to broil for 3-4 minutes to brown the cheese
Let the lasagna cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog! :)

    Have you ever tried no-boil noodles? I swear by them now that I tried em out and realized they taste the same and cook just fine! I do cook my lasagna about 45-55 min, however, which is a little longer than yours, but I would think they'd work fine regardless. Lasagna does take forever so it's nice to be able to skip the dealing-with-pasta part!

    I love that you're mentioning how to add in meat easily because I'm in the same situation - boyfriend eats meat and I don't! Luckily he is generally 100% OK with no meat in his meals but it's nice to throw it in here or there for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, I did try them once but I don't think I cooked them long enough! I may try again. I'd really love to make pasta from scratch but I don't think I have the counter space

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! I'm loving your new blog!!! I have gone back and forth with being a vegetarian over the year...and i really don't like red meat that much. I do eat a lot of fish...my husband on the other hand is a meat and potatoes guy!!! (eye roll)....I'm am so excited to try this recipe...I don't think he'll miss the meat with all the yummy cheese:)

    I have tried the no-boil lasagna noodles and I really like them too...especially if I'm in a rush during the week. Like Sara I cook my no-boil lasagna recipe for about 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordyn- Thanks! I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, no meat no fish, but last week I tried the octopus from Lola. I didn't love it lol. It wasn't fishy but it did taste very barbecued. I have been toying with the idea of eating fish again but I dunno...

    Now Dh looked at the post and said he doesn't think that pic is the cheese we get. Omg you all have no idea how much drama there is in this house over THE cheese lmao. It really makes the dish, so we are obsessed with buying the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES I'd love to make pasta myself also but you're right, all the rolling out and such takes a lot of space! If I ever got a Kitchenaid mixer I'd definitely buy the pasta rolling attachment, though I suppose I could just buy a pasta roller separately. It's just so easy to buy pasta that it's hard to motivate myself to do that! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a kitchen aid but haven't bought the pasta attachment yet. We keep talking about it lol. I only have one small stretch of counter though, so I think we'll have to buy one of those roll away counters first

    ReplyDelete